Liability Waiver and Course Participation Agreement
Updated on April 16, 2019
Somananda Tantra School is a trading name of Ananda OU. Any references to Somananda Tantra School or Ananda OU in this document refer to the same legal entity, abbreviated as STS.
By reading all of the statements contained in this document and ticking the appropriate box, I hereby confirm and accept all of its terms, conditions, and statements, including those parts relevant both generally to Somananda Tantra School courses and specifically to Tantra Massage courses within the Somananda Tantra School.
1. Somananda Tantra School – Tantra Massage Courses
1.1. Applicant’s Responsibilities, Declaration of Consent to All Risks, and Clarification of Content
- I hereby give my consent to participate in and to receive massage and/or other bodywork, or instruction in Tantra Massage, Yoga, bodywork including genital massage and intimate touch, energy work training, and any body-related interaction (henceforth “Somananda Tantra School courses”), and to use massage oils or any other props, gels, or creams from Somananda Tantra School, its teachers, trainers, assistants, or related personnel (henceforth “Somananda Tantra School”), and I acknowledge and agree that I am doing so at my own risk.
- I hereby declare that I am fully aware and accept that my health and safety, with respect to such training, are my sole responsibility.
- I acknowledge that my participation in any training program, courses, or activities with Somananda Tantra School may result in my bodily injury, discomfort, purification effects, hyperventilation, increased heart rate, emotional releases, and emotional overload among other effects, up to and including – in an extremely rare case – my own death.
- My decision to receive training or participate in any courses or activities with Somananda Tantra School is voluntary, and I know of, understand, and assume any and all risks associated therewith.
1.2. Nudity, Intimate Touch, and Genital Massage
- I hereby declare that in full awareness and agreement, I choose to participate in Somananda Tantra School’s massage courses and I am aware and fully accept that these courses include and involve nudity, partial nudity, intimate bodily touch between various participants and myself, genital massage (including inner vaginal massage for women and penis and testicular massage for men), multiple exchange of massage partners during the courses, and full-body touch, and I agree in advance to participate in all of the above mentioned activities.
1.3. Somananda Tantra School Tantra Massage Teacher Training Course (henceforth TMTTC)
- I have been informed of and accept that once I am certified as a Tantra Massage teacher by Somananda Tantra School, Somananda Tantra School will not be responsible for any of my activities as a Tantra Massage teacher at any time or at any location at which I teach, and that I will be teaching Tantra Massage at my own risk, assuming all responsibility for all my actions and the results of teaching Tantra Massage. Therefore, I hereby and for the future, indemnify and hold harmless Somananda Tantra School from and against any and all claims, rights, damages, liabilities, losses, loss of employment-related costs, and all other costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising from or in connection with any injuries to myself or to other persons or damage to property caused by or attributed to me or my students/clients as a teacher of Tantra Massage at any given time.
- I am aware and I fully accept that once I am certified as a Tantra Massage teacher by Somananda Tantra School I will be allowed to teach Tantra Massage workshops worldwide, for courses of up to five (5) days in duration. I declare that I will not teach courses with a duration of more than five (5) days under any circumstances, anywhere in the world, without the explicit written consent and approval from Somananda Tantra School.
- I hereby confirm and commit that I will not change the structure, nor improvise or alter in anyway, the teaching programs of Somananda Tantra School as they were given to me during the Tantra Massage Teacher Training Course. This includes not breaking up any particular teaching program into additional or fewer teaching periods or into separate courses.
- I hereby declare that I am fully aware that completing the Tantra Massage Teacher Training Course with Somananda Tantra School DOES NOT authorize me to teach the Tantra Massage Therapist Training or the Tantra Massage Teacher Training Course, or similar courses of any kind. If I choose to ignore this commitment, I will be infringing on the copyrights and legal rights of Somananda Tantra School and may find myself the subject of legal action against myself and may incur subsequent financial liabilities. I further understand and accept that if I breach this agreement, I will compensate Somananda Tantra School financially with a sum of not less than, and potentially not limited to, €50,000. I am also fully aware and accept that by breaching this commitment, further legal action may be taken against me.
- I am aware that participation in the Somananda Tantra School TMTTC does not automatically guarantee graduation, attaining a certificate, or receiving the authorization to teach Tantra Massage. A participant may graduate, receive STS certificate, and be allowed to teach Tantra Massage only by passing the required exams and earning a positive personal assessment by the head teachers.
- I have been informed, accept, and commit that at any given time, I will not use the Somananda Tantra School name, titles of courses or trainings, or copy exactly or approximately any of the texts from any of the Somananda Tantra School websites, social media channels or newsletters. Instead, I commit to use the texts, which have been given to me during the TMTTC, which are meant for this use.
- Also, I am fully aware and accept that upon graduating, I will not earn the right to use the Somananda Tantra School name and to identify myself as a Somananda Tantra School teacher. Furthermore, I will not be allowed to represent the Somananda Tantra School unless and until I become part of the Somananda Tantra School teaching team and my name is clearly posted on the Somananda Tantra School website’s teaching staff. I acknowledge that I can list Somananda Tantra School in my bio.
1.4. Potential Risks and Side Effects of Tantra Massage
- I am aware that Tantra Massage benefits include pain relief, relaxation, blood pressure moderation, stress reduction, and anxiety management.
- By signing this document, I hereby confirm that I have been fully informed and I accept and agree fully to all the health risks mentioned henceforth. Also, I fully accept and agree to participate in any of the Somananda Tantra School massage courses with full knowledge and awareness of the health risks and possible damages mention below:
- Blood Clots
The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) cautions massage therapists about the risks of massaging a client with high blood pressure. The pressure exerted during a massage could potentially cause arterial plaque to rupture and release blood clots into the system. Though the risk is low for such an event, blood clots can travel to the heart or brain. Clients with deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a condition that causes blood clots to develop in the deep veins of the body, are especially at risk. Massage greatly increases the risks of a clot being released and traveling to the lungs.
- Nerve Damage
Some forms of massage, such as deep tissue massage (including Tantra Massage), Structural Integration, and Rolfing require the massage therapist to exert pressure past the skin layer in order to manipulate muscles and connective tissues. During the Somananda Tantra Massage courses as participant and in Tantra Massage teacher training if a participant does not communicate and does not give or receive proper feedback from another participant or from Somananda Tantra School teachers, assistants, or staff, this may bring about the exertion of too much pressure, resulting in temporary nerve damage to a participant.
- Infectious Skin Conditions
A number of infectious conditions of the skin can be transmitted during massage, despite the best efforts of Somananda Tantra School to screen participants within reason. These include herpes, cold sores, shingles rashes, warts, and ringworm. Likewise, as in the case of warts, during Tantra Massage training, people may unknowingly spread the contagion from one area of a person’s body to another or to themselves.
- Temporary Side Effects
Side effects, otherwise known as purification effects, may include temporary pain, soreness, discomfort, bruising, swelling, and a sensitivity or allergy to massage oils. Also, nausea, vomiting, temporary or longer term diarrhea, various body discomfort symptoms, emotional expressions, and emotional release may exhibit, among other conditions.
1.5. When to Avoid Massage
- Certain medical conditions may increase the risk of experiencing negative side effects from massage. These include cancer, severe heart conditions, high blood pressure, fractured or broken bones, blood clots, skin rashes, and infectious diseases of the skin or sexually transmitted diseases, burns, lesions, any forms of arthritis and osteoporosis, mysterious pain and other diseases.
- If I suffer from any of these conditions or another serious illness, I commit to inform Somananda Tantra School when applying for any Somananda Tantra School course/sand to consult my physician before joining a Somananda Tantra Massage course.
- As a pregnant woman I am aware that I am required to inform Somananda Tantra School of my pregnancy before joining any course and to consult my healthcare provider before joining any Tantra Massage course.
2. Somananda Tantra School – All Trainings
2.1. Declaration of Confidentiality and No Recording Policy
- I hereby commit not to record (by means of video, audio, or any other means) the content, teaching materials, lectures, sessions, or any other content or teachings of the Somananda Tantra School courses in which I participate. I am aware that if I breach this commitment, I may be expelled immediately from any course with no refund or compensation and I may become the subject of legal action against myself as well as incur fines and legal/financial liability for copyright infringement.
- I also hereby commit not to distribute course materials provided directly to me to anyone, regardless of whether that person/those people may have previously joined Somananda Tantra School courses, in any format – whether printed, digital, or based in social media or online content. Unauthorized distribution of Somananda Tantra School materials will be considered a breach of this agreement, and perpetrators will be subject to legal repercussions.
2.2. Somananda Tantra School Right to Refuse Acceptance
- I have been informed and accept that Somananda Tantra School has the right to refuse the participation of myself or any person to any of its courses. Furthermore, I am fully aware and accept in advance, that Somananda Tantra School reserves the right to expel, dismiss, or send home myself or any participant from any of its courses at any time during any of its courses for the following reasons:
- Incompatibility/problematic behavior that disrupts course harmony;
- Breaking the rule that stipulates no recording of any kind;
- Disregarding or breaking any of the other rules of conduct as explained in the first session of the course;
- Aggressive or disrespectful behavior toward any teacher, staff member, or course participant;
- Any other disturbing, abnormal, or adverse behavior that negatively impacts the course, the teacher(s)/assistants, or other participants.
- Such decisions will not be made lightly. However, if made, these decisions will be taken at the sole discretion of the course teacher(s) and will be final.
- I understand and accept that in the case of my expulsion from any of Somananda Tantra School’s courses, there will be no refund of any kind of my payments to Somananda Tantra School at any time. I declare that I am fully aware of the “no refund” policy in case of expulsion from a course and I agree in advance to withhold any claims for a refund in such an event.
2.3. Declaration of Waiver of Rights
- In exchange for receiving the training from Somananda Tantra School, I, for myself and on behalf of my heirs, executors, administrators, and personal representatives, hereby waive, release, discharge, and hold harmless Somananda Tantra School from any and all liability for any and all injuries, including death, damages, or claims relating to or resulting from my participation in Somananda Tantra School courses or any of its training programs, now or in the future, foreseen or unforeseen. Further, I will indemnify and hold harmless Somananda Tantra School from and against any and all claims, rights, damages, liabilities, losses, loss of employment-related costs, and all other costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising from or in connection with any injuries to other persons or damage to property caused by or attributed to me.
3. Community Activity
- Unless provided in writing, digitally or on paper by STS, no events or training run by students of STS are in any way affiliated or related to STS.
- If graduate teacher students or any other type of students from STS choose to run their own practice session or events, ticketed or unticketed, they must acknowledge that these events have no affiliation and are not related to STS or their courses.
- STS accepts no liability or responsibility for personal activities organized by students or other persons with materials or techniques taught on official courses or through unofficial courses or methods by STS.
- Any courses run that claim affiliation to STS, directly or indirectly, without prior written permission, digitally or on paper, may be liable to legal action.
4. Declaration of Agreement to All Terms
- I have read in detail and fully understand this Liability Waiver and Course Participation Agreement regarding my participation in Somananda Tantra School courses and specifically regarding the benefits, potential risks, and side effects associated with Tantra Massage courses and training programs, and/or other bodywork done with Somananda Tantra School.
- I acknowledge that I have read and understood the release and indemnification provisions set forth in the preceding paragraphs as well as all other declarations, commitments, and statements within this document, and I agree to and accept all of the terms outlined within this document. By ticking the respective box in the check-out page of this website and/or writing my name and applying my personal signature on this document, I hereby legally agree to all its content and confirm my agreement.